Have you seen the price of a gallon of paint lately? One gallon of premium interior paint can run you $100! A good paintbrush will cost $15. It’s not cheap to remodel a mobile home. The way to remodel a mobile home on a budget is to balance what you want. Where to splurge and where to cut corners without losing quality (paint is definitely in the splurge column).
Start with a Plan to Remodel a Mobile Home on a Budget
Remodeling any home on a budget requires great planning. Where do I spend money and where do I save? Like most things, without a plan, you’ll most likely spend much more than you planned on your manufactured home remodel. If you’re planning to renovate the entire kitchen you’ll need to make a list and set a budget.
- A detailed plan of the changes you want to make to your mobile home.
- Setting a realistic budget that covers your renovation needs and any surprise issues.
- Why do you want to make the changes?
Save Money with these Kitchen Remodeling Tips
- Synthetic Counter Tops – Counter tops define the look of a kitchen. Rather than going for expensive materials such as granite or marble, chose man-made materials. Synthetic counter tops have a long lifespan and stand up against wear and tear. There are many styles available and many of them look just like granite and marble.
- Paint the Counters – You can paint your old counter tops! There are kits available that are much better than what was on the market just a few years ago. There has been some serious advancements in these products. Preparation seems to be the key to the best results.
- Replace the Cabinet Doors – Instead of replacing your entire kitchen cabinet think about replacing the doors. Usually the lower cabinets in a mobile home kitchen are a bit different than a site-built home because there are no floors in the cabinets. Replacing just the cabinet’s doors can save a lot of money and installation headaches.
- Replace the Cabinet Knobs or Pulls – This can be an easy, inexpensive upgrade. A mobile home remodel doesn’t have to break the budget. Small details are often the most important when it comes to remodeling. New doorknobs or handles on your kitchen cabinets can be exactly what the room needs for a fresh new look.
Simple saving Ideas
- Keep the Same Layout– Try not to move the electrical and plumbing-this can get very expensive. Keeping your plumbing and electrical in the same location will save money if you are doing a complete kitchen remodel.
- Scratch and Dent Appliances – You can save a lot of money by shopping in the scratch and dent section. A dent on the side of a refrigerator won’t be noticeable if you have a wall or a cabinet covering it.